Thursday, May 2, 2013

Take 5

Every week someone from Mercy Ships writes a short column for our internal website. Last week it was John's turn. I believe what he wrote is a great reminder and challenge for all of us!

This week's Leadership POV (Point of View) is written by John Wall, the Finance Director on the Africa Mercy. John, Tracey and their family joined Mercy Ships in 2012.

Lord What Do You Want Me to Do?

Since our arrival here on the Africa Mercy, we have seen and experienced so much. We jumped right in and things were difficult at the outset. Especially early on, I felt in over my head and had no idea how to approach the various situations I encountered. This was the case both in my work duties in finance and situations with my family. Even when I thought I knew what I was supposed to do, it didn't always work out so well.

Somewhere in this time frame, we heard a word from Donovan encouraging us in every situation to take a few seconds and just ask, “God what would you have me do?” As I heard this message, my mind went to my last job before joining Mercy Ships. I worked at a mine in my last job and we would “Take 5” before doing any task, whether it was something dangerous like raising an engine with a crane or simple like moving a desk. We wanted to pause and think about the situation and any dangers that might come through doing that task. We asked specific questions about what could happen and what the consequences could be. The goal was to do everything safely. “Take 5” was a part of our culture, it was part of who we were. It helped us win many safety awards in the industry and most of all helped us at one point go over a year without a single injury to any of the 250 employees we had (not a common occurrence in the mining world). It even affected the way I was at home as I would “Take 5” before doing things like shoveling snow off a roof, fixing the car, or even mowing the lawn.

I have tried to now take this and apply this safety motto to my life here on the ship and my interactions with God. I want to “Take 5” and ask “God, what would you have me do here” when facing a situation, whether easy or hard. Honestly, I have not done well. First of all, I still struggle with asking God in the first place and just pushing on ahead using my knowledge and experience. If I do pause, I struggle hearing God and knowing what He would like me to do in that situation.

In the last couple weeks, I learned what it is like when you do it the right way. I learned it from my wife, Tracey (where else would I learn a great life lesson?). Recently, God put it on her heart to wean our baby girl. “But why God, it makes no sense.” She is in the medical field with a mother who is an expert in all things related to the feeding of babies. She asked me to pray about it too. I did but I didn't really try to listen. I just assumed I knew the right answer (based on what I learned from Tracey and her mom no less). Tracey continued seeking God and asking Him what she should do. Finally, we talked about it and we decided to start weaning because Tracey felt like God was telling her to. It’s a long and beautiful story (see last 2 posts), but by listening to God, another baby here in Guinea who lost his mom at about the same time is able to live by drinking Tracey’s milk. Tracey asked and listened when it didn't make sense and God showed her why after she decided to obey. I didn't “Take 5” going into this like I should have as another life hung in the balance. What a joy we have had getting to know this little boy the last few weeks and what blessings we would have missed out on if we had just done what we thought we were supposed to do without Tracey asking “God what would you have me do?”

I am a proud husband and I have learned a great lesson. God should be a part of every situation I confront. My knowledge, experience and whatever else I can muster isn't enough. I also learned that God will give us direction if we are willing to listen. He doesn't always give us an answer as to why but he does want to have a say in what we are doing. As I was able to be a part of this and learn, I am so much more inclined now in every situation to “Take 5” and ask “God what would you have me do?” I hope it becomes a part of who I am and what I do.



John Wall
Finance Director
Africa Mercy

1 comment:

  1. Sending a big howdy from Colorado! I enjoy reading about the work you and Tracy do on the Africa Mercy - it is inspiring. After reading this post, I will use my Take 5 in many new ways. Happy that you and yours are doing well. Peace. Pam G.

    ReplyDelete